Friday, January 22, 2010

Hand Dyed Optical llusion


This piece is approximately 6 foot wide by about 7 ft in length.  This particular piece was very challenging.  I started out being able to find the solids , but the marbled pieces needed to be made in just the right tonalities to achieve this three dimensional look.  This took me one year to complete.  I used 100 percent cotton fabrics and dyed the fabrics and used Sea Salt to disperse the dye throughout the cloth to give the marbled look to the cloth.  It tends to be a rather messy operation, so that I did this in the summer when I could get the salt off the dried pieces of cotton when it was drying out in the sun.   This is one of those art quilts that would be considered priceless in light of the time and overall sweat factor that went into completing this piece.  If you turn your head in another direction the pattern will fool your eye and vary from hexagons to cubes.

1 comment: